TBS Has Exclusive Coverage of Early MLB Playoffs

Coverage of Major League Baseball’s postseason begins exclusively on TBS tomorrow. In a new playoff format, two Wild Card teams in each league will play a single-elimination game. Winners will advance to compete with division champions from their respective leagues in the Division Series.

Tomorrow’s games feature the St. Louis Cardinals vs. the Atlanta Braves (4 p.m. CT) followed by the Baltimore Orioles vs. the Texas Rangers (7:30 p.m. CT). On Saturday, the Division Series get under way with the Oakland A’s playing the Detroit Tigers (4:30 p.m. CT) and the Cincinnati Reds facing the San Francisco Giants (8:30 p.m. CT). On Sunday, the New York Yankees will play the winner of the Orioles-Rangers game and the Washington Nationals will take on the winner of the Cardinals-Braves game. Game times will be announced.

TBS will televise up to 18 Division Series games and the entire American League Championship Series. The network is available to all Suddenlink customers who have what is commonly known as Expanded Basic TV service.

Comments

1. William Merriam says

You forgot to mention that on Sunday Oct. 7 the A’s – Tiger’s game is on MLB only. You don’t carry MLB so your customers will be unable to view that playoff game plus several others later in the week. Nearly all cable companies as well as satellite companies carry the MLB network as part of their basic package. I was wondering why Suddenlink doesn’t?

• Pete says

We’d like to add MLB and remain open to further talks with the Network about a contract that is fair and reasonable for our customers. Our customers will be able to see 41 of Major League Baseball’s potential 43 playoff games this fall on TBS and FOX.

• Brad says

And satellite consumers can view 43 of the 43 potential playoff games. Other cable carriers seem to be able to offer the network on a fair and reasaonable basis. Why is that MLB is only being onerous with Suddenlink?

• Pete says

I can’t speak to the details. What I do know is that we would like to offer this network to customers who want it, without forcing others (who don’t want it) to pay for it.

2. Brad says

I understand it’s not your call. But the talking point is rather lame. I am “forced” any number of channel offerings that I do not want. It’s the nature of your business. I’d just very much like to at least have the option of providing you additional revenue in this regard.

• Pete says

I appreciate your frustration. I’m a sports fan, too; especially baseball and football. The challenge is to find a reasonable balance. With the proliferation of new channels — in particular, new sports channels that each take a few games away from more widely available channels — we have to push back on some of the network-owner demands; otherwise, the cost to you and others would rapidly increase to much more than it is today. Through negotiation, we were able to reach a reasonable agreement with NFL Network, and I hope we’ll get there with MLB, too.

3. Jim Dempsey says

I would like to echo Brad’s comments. I am a die-hard Yankee fan and would love to be able to watch them through MLB or the YES network. Yes, we are “forced” to pay for many, many channels that are not of my taste. Would love to be able to pick and choose what channels I would want. The price goes up, up and away, while the quality of channels being offered lands with a ‘thud’…….

4. David Souders says

I would like to know if your going to carry Comcast sports net. I am in the city of Houston limits and that channel is the only one that will broadcast Houston Rockets and the Astros. Any news, because NBA is starting soon.

• Pete says

We’ve had discussions with this network but I can’t say, at this time, if or when those discussions might reach a successful conclusion.